Friday, September 5, 2008

Don't Feed the Ducks

So, I haven’t really done anything in college that is worth remembering. But I guess those sorts of things just, well, happen. My friend was supposed to come visit me today during my three hour break period, but she couldn’t because she is leaving for North Carolina. So I go and get my lunch from Burger King and head my spot by the lake. This is where I go and sit before my last class on Friday.
So I pull out my computer and my lunch and start eating while trying to figure out what in the world I’m going to write this blog about. I just so happen to look up as a duck is waddling out of the water. I look around and see some other ducks around the trees across the sidewalk and assume that is where he is headed.
By now I’m eating, and talking to my friends via myspace (obviously to try to think of a topic). I hear a noise and I look up and there is that darn duck about five feet away staring at me.
Now you see, I love animals and I think this is the cutest thing in the world. So what do I do? I throw the duck a french-fry. He runs and eats the french-fry and runs back, this time getting a little closer. He sits there and stares right at me, then looks at my food, and looks back at me and wags his little tail feathers. Again, I think this is the cutest thing in the world. So what do I do? I throw the duck another french-fry. Again, he runs, eats the french-fry, comes back and sits right next to me.
Well I’m really hungry and I don’t feel like sharing my food with the duck anymore, so I politely tell him there isn’t anymore food. However, this duck isn’t going to fall for that like my dog would. He sits there and stares at my box of chicken nuggets and french-fries, knowing there’s more in there. He takes a step closer and stretches out his neck. I became a little nervous because I’ve obviously never had this sort of encounter with a duck before. I didn’t know whether it would bite me or not, and if it did, does a duck bite hurt?
I stand up, shove the food into my backpack, walk to the other side of the table and call an expert, my mom (moms are supposed to be experts at everything, right?). I ask my mom what I’m supposed to do, and she says, “Put the food away.” Ok captain obvious. I had already done that. “I don’t know.” She says, “Call me if it starts attacking you.” Well thank you mother.
Since that didn’t work, I start walking away from the duck, but he follows me. I walked around the table at least five times, but he kept following me, and he wasn’t just walking around following me. He was chasing me! By now I’m looking like an idiot running away from a duck, but I didn’t know what else to do. I really was not looking forward to finding out whether or not a duck’s bite hurts
Finally the duck starts running off and pecks the grass. I sit back down at my computer, and explain to my friends what had just happened. Needless to say, they all laughed. (By the way, as I’m sitting here writing this, a squirrel just jumped onto my table, nature just loves me)
So the moral to my story: Don’t feed the ducks on campus!!

No comments: