So I had to work Thursday night and it was ridiculously slow. I work at Icing in the mall and incase you don’t know what that is, it is an accessory store for women. The only reason men usually come into the store is if they are buying something for their wife, if they are with their wife or daughter, or if they have/ want their ears pierced. For the record, we do not sell anything that is specifically for men.
Ok so now back to the story. It had been really slow all night and there were only maybe two people in the store. Marissa, the girl I was working with, was helping one of the ladies. I was standing behind the cash register waiting for something to do. I looked over as this couple was walking in. They stopped at the front table and grabbed a pair of boots that were underneath. As they did this however, they knocked over basically everything on the table. I went over to help fix the table the way it was supposed to go and the guy looked at me, smiled and said “we can never take her (his wife) anywhere, the last store we went to is still cleaning up the sunglasses she knocked over.” I was a little scarred but thinking that he had a humorous personality, I came back with “well I’m just not sure I can let you in my store than.” I said this with a smile on my face and everything. They stopped and just stared at me. When I told them I was kidding he smiled. Then the conversation went into the boots that they had in their hands. He asked me if the boots were made for men or women.
Let me take a time out here to explain something. These boots he had in his hands were light brown; they tied up the front and had fur around the front and the top. So they did not look anything like men’s boots.
I told him that I guess men could wear them, but they would have to be very comfortable with their sexuality. His comeback to this was, “I’m not a faggot.” (Just so you know I don’t mean to hurt anyone’s feelings by saying this, I am just quoting what this man said.) He asked me if we had a size 11 and I told him I would go and check.
I went straight over to Marissa and begged her to help me. I briefed her on the situation, but I think I forgot to mention that the boots were for him. She went over and told him that the largest size we had was a size 10. He looked at the boot and put it next to his foot to see if the 10 might fit. She quickly asked “Is this for you?” His response was, “uh DUUUUHHH,” as he spit all in her face. She seemed to be a little startled and I was quite nervous. He told us that he wanted us to call the manufacturer and tell them that Jeb Bush wanted them. He told us that he would leave us his number and when we got off the phone with the company, he would drop the money off in advance and when they were ready he would come and pick them up.
Well, neither Marissa nor I knew what Jeb Bush looked like, but we just figured it wasn’t him. We tried as nicely as possible to tell him that we couldn’t do that because we don’t control what gets sent to our store. When it comes in, it comes in. there is nothing we can do about it. He argued with us and told us that we could do something about it. When he finally realized that we weren’t going to do anything about it, he and his wife left.
When one of the ladies that was in there was ready to check out, we asked her if she knew what Jeb Bush looked like. Before even explaining to us what he looked like, she said, “Not like that guy.”
Friday, October 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Oh my God. I can't believe that happened to you. After working in real tail for a long time you think you see it all, then things like this appear. I would like to know what that guy is like outside of the story, I mean was it a joke? Was he old, and just didn't know what was going on? Was he from Alaska!? I mean, these are all possible out comes haha
But other then that I'm impressed that your could keep your cool, but the time I was done with my old job I would of ripped his head off. Or just been extremly rude to him.
I love real life and all experiences. This is a story you can tell for a loooong time.
Post a Comment